PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1139 Ramona Street

Professorville Historic District

inventory photo 1139 Ramona
No Inventory photo available Photo taken August 30, 2015

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:  This is a modest, homey variation of the gambrel, Colonial Revival motif of the 1100 block of Ramona. Chamfered posts support the overhang creating the entry porch.

Significance:  This is an unpretentious but rather elegant design and a member of a remarkably consistent block face.

Mrs. G. A. Fleming and her daughters were its first occupants, succeeded in the early years by, among others, William C. and Olive Corbett (1910–1919), one of whose sons was born in the house; Mrs. Susan C. Carpenter (1920–1925), Mrs. Nellie Neel (1926–1935), Walter A. and Marie Neller (1936–1943), Mrs. Kathleen Faw (1944–1953), and Dr. and Mrs. Oliver M. Henderson (1956–1970), and Mr. and Mrs. Richard Dearborn (1971–1986) (Richard L and Ruth).

Robert Brandeis photo
Robert Brandeis photo
1139 Ramona
plaque map
Entry with centennial plaque by door Location map

This house was built in 1903 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Gus Laumeister. The property measures 50 by 105 feet.

Sources: P. A. City Directories; Palo Alto Times: 12/31/04, 4/2/38, 1/24/55; Book 266 (Deeds), p. 580, 11/9/03 (Santa Clara Co. Recorder); Interview with Ruth Dearborn (1986)

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.