PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1057 Ramona Street

Professorville Historic District

inventory photo 2013 photo
Inventory photo Photo taken August 25, 2013

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This simple shingled box is decorated by a wider band of shingles at the second floor and a Tuscan porch which originally ran the full width of the house.

The side of the house has a projecting square bay, two stories in height and a series of additive structures to the rear which inventively accommodate an ancient oak. the square bays are supported at both stories by round ended short corbels.

In 1985 it was wholly rehabilitated and re-landscaped. The rear entry was enlarged and decked, a dead oak was removed, a side entry added, and French doors or windows were substituted or introduced—all in compatible style.

Significance:  First occupied (to 1908) by Professor and Mrs. H. W. Rolfe and Mrs. Anne D. Connelly, a musician, then (1908–1917) by Professor and Mrs. Edward C. Franklin. Franklin was an internationally–known expert inorganic chemistry who joined the Stanford faculty in 1898.

Elizabeth Hadden, sister of Palo Alto's first librarian Anne Hadden, lived there very briefly (1917–1918), as did an early Unitarian minister, Bradley Gilman and his wife Mary (1918–1919), and Professor and Mrs. Alfred D. Browne (a physician on the Stanford faculty, 1919–1922).

For almost fifty years, (1924–1972), it was the home of Charles and Martha Ellet (1884–1971). Ellet's father came to the City in 1908, bought the Mayfield Bank and Trust and later reorganized it as the Stanford Bank (subsequently sold to American Trust Co.). Ellet opened the Stanford Realty Co. in 1924 and thenceforth was a leading Realtor in the community.

It was Ellet house until 1974 when it was acquired by John and Johanna Dunn, followed in 1985 by Ken Alsman and Linda Scott.

 

   
2010 photo porch
plaque map
Centennial plaque Location map

This house was built in 1901 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder might have been Gus Laumeister. The 1985 re-hab/remodel was by Scott Design Associates. The property measures 75 by 105 feet. It was on the PAST Holiday House Tour in 1988 (first tour) and 1993.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/3/02, 10/21/28, 2/13/37, 5/5/44, 3/6/52, 9/27/71.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.