PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1047 Ramona Street

Professorville

1047 Ramona Street 2013 photo
Inventory photo Photo taken August 25, 2013

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1986:

Physical appearance:   This two–story Colonial Revival house is a restrained design whose formal symmetry and Doric porch columns comprise its stylistic image.

Significance:  The earliest occupants were Mr. and Mrs. C. Graham; Graham was in the oil business. Professors Austin F. Rogers (1911–1919) and Harold Heath (1919–1921) next occupied it. Rogers was a significant geologist and Heath a zoologist of international repute.

John W. Spratley, a salesman, and his wife, May, made it their home from 1921 to 1955. Short–term occupants followed until 1978 when it was acquired by Arthur and June Holland.

 

1047 Ramona

July 2010
1047

December 2010
map
 

This house was built in 1907 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and are unknown. The property measures 75 by 105 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 4/24/51, 3/11/57; Sandborn Co. Fire Insurance Map of Palo Alto, 1908

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.