PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1029 Ramona Street

Professorville

1029 inventory photo side view
Inventory photo:  1029 is on the right Photo taken 2010

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The structures at 1021 and 1029 Ramona Street offer an excellent example of the difference that paint color can make in the visual appearance of a building. The two houses are, in fact, identical in form, plan and material. the restrained Colonial Revival design features generous front porches supported by Tuscan columns. the most interesting design item is the abstract fenestration pattern o the second floor. together, they are typical of small–scale development at the turn of the century and are parts of a coherent block face, as well.

Significance:  First occupied by Mrs. R. Pieper, from 1911 to 1919 it was the home of Mrs. Emily M. Stauf and her daughter Ida. The latter, born in Germany in 1871, received the A. B. and M.A. degrees from Stanford, taught both here and abroad, and was a member of the Stanford Romance Languages Department from 1928 until her death in 1936.

Professor Edwin A. and Louise H. Cottrell occupied it very briefly, and in 1920 it was purchased by Bergie B. and Lutie Beckett. Cottrell (1881–1953) was one of Stanford's most eminent political scientists, a Palo Alto mayor (1925–26), member of numerous community, state, and national councils and boards, and the chief architect of the City's new charter in 1949. Beckett was a well–established electrical engineer; he and his descendants (Richard Beckett) retain the home until the present day (1981).

 

   
entry
2010 photos
1029 Ramona
2009 photo
2009 photo
map

This house was built in 1905 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder are unknown. The property measures 50 by 106 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 9/6/17, 5/28/36, 2/10/53, 10/23/68; Stanford Review, April 1953

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.