PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1230 Parkinson Avenue

inventory photo 1230 Parkinson
Inventory photo Photo taken January 26, 2011

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This small, L-shaped cottage features a low-sweeping roof at the entrance and a bulls-eye window.

Significance:  The cottage illustrates the way that skillful management of scale and detail produce a strong visual effect, particularly in the slope and intersection of the roofs. The houses at 1230, 1240, and 1250 Parkinson were all built for W. G. Bell. The builder of 1250 Parkinson (originally 155 Cedar) was W. J. Burnett, in 1929.

The first owner of 1230 Parkinson was Alf L. Gausewitz, an attorney. By 1931 the house was a rental unit with numerous short-term occupants until 1948, when it was acquired by H.L. and Ruth Cornelius.

 

map
Location map

This house was built in 1928 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect is not known; the owner/builder was W. G. Bell. The property measures 50 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times, 9/8/29, 9/21/29, 10/23/29; Dallas Wood, History of Palo Alto, p. 290; interview 1985, H. L. Cornelius

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.