PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1795 Park Boulevard

Earlier addresses:  280, 191, 195 Park Boulevard

inventory photo 1795 Park
Inventory photo Photo taken May 10, 2004

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1986:

Physical appearance:   A lesson in the power of ornament, this building is a fine example of the Georgian Revival style.

Significance:  The austerity of the building's simple rectangular form is both eased and given authority by the prominent ornamentation of the entry portico and other classically derived detailing. It was one of the large homes built in conjunction with the opening of Evergreen Park real estate in 1904 and was featured in the display advertisement of early 1905 published by the Co-Operative Land and Trust Co.

In late 1906 it was purchased by Henrietta Reed who, with O. K. Harry, and Marguerite, occupied it until the time of World War I.

When they moved to Southern California, they sold the house to Charles C. and Emma Baughman, whose home it was until 1934. Baughman was an employee of Southern Pacific railroad.

From 1934 to 1942, it was occupied by Professor John Hedberg and his family. He served on the Stanford faculty in civil engineering until his sudden death, age 35, in 1942.

Between the occupancy of Mrs. Mamie C. Robinson and her family in the late 40s and the fifties, it was converted to apartments. It was restored to single-family use in 1980 by August J. and Mary Ramberg.

L. S. Bean, the builder, is identified as the builder of other houses in Evergreen Park and College Terrace at this time. The Ionic order of capital used here and at the house he built in 1906 at 505 Homer Avenue rarely appears in Palo Alto buildings of the era, and both houses display exceptionally prominent emphasis on classical detailing. The architect at 505 Homer Avenue and probable architect of this house, was C. E. Branson, then city Building Inspector.

 

1795 Park 1795 Park
front yard 1795 Park
entry map
Location map

This house was built in 1904 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect might have been C. E. Branson and the builder might have been L. S. Bean who built other houses in Evergreen Park and College Terrace at this time. The property measures 50 by 173 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/2/05, 5/1/06, 8/3/42, 9/11/44; U.S. Census 1910, ED 75, p. 7; Book 321 (Deeds), p. 412-3, 11/17/06 (Off. Rec.), Book 321 (Deeds), p. 417-8, 3/7/07; Book 439 (Deeds), p. 461, 2/19/16; Book 703 (Off. Rec.), p. 48, 7/20/34 (Santa Clara Co. Recorder); interviews 1981, Mary R. Ramberg, Jules Arjo

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.