PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

2130-2136 Oberlin Street

Originally 530-536 Oberlin Street

inventory photo
Inventory photo 2130 and 2136 Oberlin Street Location map

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   Careful handling of scale and detail distinguish this pair of Spanish Colonial Revival cottages with large arch windows, tile roofs, and shared driveway.

Significance:  This pair of cottages condenses the Spanish Colonial Revival style into a small package. They frequently have served as rental units, but since the 1940s they have been separately owned.

Owners listed for 2130 Oberlin include F. A. Shalon (1941-50), Oliver Sweningsen (1950-54), Mrs. Lulu C. Baker (1955-65), and Robert and Margaret Finn.

Owners for 2136 Oberlin include Everett G. Sacyer (1946-47), C. J. Ferguson (1949-47), and Christopher Rafferty.

 

These cottages were built in 1932 and are a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The owner/builder was Ed Lewis. The properties measure 25 by 125 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 8/12/32; Palo alto Building Department file; interview 1985, Margaret Finn

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.