PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

771 Lytton Avenue

(earlier, 777 Lytton)

inventory photo 771
Inventory photo Photo taken May 16, 2013

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:  This is a better-than-average one-story example of a common type of stucco Spanish Colonial Revival bungalow. The shallow recess of the central portion, the arched, nicely mullioned and balanced windows, and the indications of pylons create movement and variety with minimum means. The twin garages at the rear connect it to the adjacent residence, which is stylistically comparable though at a disadvantage in its particular details. 

Significance:  A small but careful design, typical of the Spanish Colonial Revival style applied to modest residential buildings. Vacant for a year, it was first occupied by Charles Fritzschen (1926-29) and then, for a decade, Mrs. Myrtle Minton, a music teacher. Augustus M. Kirby (1941-66) and Henry Hughes (1967-71) preceded Brian and Rebecca Schaefer who acquired the home in 1972.

 

gate 771
Guinda Street side Side view
map  
Location map

This house was built in 1924 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was P. W. Wilson. The property measures 60.5 by 75 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 7/16/24, 8/1/24, 9/2/24, 7/16/31; interview 1985, Rebecca Schaefer

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.