PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

535 Lowell Avenue

inventory photo 535 Lowell
Inventory photo Photo taken May 7, 2011

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The carefully handled entry, the unusual scalloped halt-timber pattern, and massive proportions create a superior Tudor Revival image. The structure is two-storied stucco with wood half-timber members.

Significance:  This is a good example of period revival styling. It was first owned (1927 to 1934) by John s. Stephens, a resident of Palo Alto since 1913, city council member 1931–37, and an associate of Schwabacker & Co. investment firm.

From 1935–45, it was occupied by Courtney L. Decius, geologist; then, until 1949 by airline pilot Lloyd E. Hunt.

After a brief period of vacancy, it became the home of George S. Ishiyama.

 

 

Location map

This house was built in 1926 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was L. A. Bachelder. The property measures 75 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 6/23/26, 2/15/54; interview 1985, Mrs. George Ishiyama

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.