logo   Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

275 Lowell Avenue (demolished) / 1680 Bryant Street

Inventory photo 1680 Bryant
Inventory photo of 1680 Bryant 2014 photos of side and street view of 1680 Bryant.

The following is from the from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   A two–story stucco building at 275 Lowell (roof of new house is visible below) was originally joined to the principal building at 1680 Bryant to form a single family residence. A one–story connecting wing [to 275 Lowell] was bulldozed in the mid–20th century creating two separate houses. It is a superb example, even in its mutilated state, of John Hudson Thomas' ability to fuse Prairie Style, Secessionist, Craftsman and Pueblo Revival architectural expressions.

Significance:  This is a milestone design in the career of an important Bay Area designer, John Hudson Thomas. To read more, see 1680 Bryant.

The Lowell house residents in 1985 were Adolph and Edith Baller. Adolph Baller was an internationally-known pianist.

both houses map

This stucco house was built in 1914 and a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The Bryant Street portion was presented with a centennial plaque in 2014. The architect was John Hudson Thomas, but the original builder is unknown. The 1936 addition was by Aro and Okerman. The 275 Lowell section was demolished and replaced. The original property size was 150 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Times 12/18/36, 4/15/39, 9/19/68; Bay Area Guide to Architecture; Palo Alto Historical Association files

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.