PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

467 Lincoln Avenue

inventory photo 467 Lincoln
Inventory photo Photo taken July 23, 2010

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This two-story stucco Tudor Revival house has a carefully proportioned large-scale bay window on the ground floor and half-timbered work on the second.

The garage is separate and a tea house on the property was in rather poor condition in 1978.

Significance:  Robert O. Bolman, original owner, came from Kansas in 1923. He managed the Farmer's Union Market in San Jose for two years, then helped found the Home Foundation Savings and Loan Association of Palo Alto for which he was the first secretary and later president. His business success enabled him to build the home at 467 Lincoln. He also served on the Palo Alto public works board from 1937 to 1941. He died on November 30, 1956 at age 82.

Miss Mary c. Dunham bought the house from Bolman in 1928. She was the daughter of a prominent San Francisco family, one of the founders of the wholesale hardware firm of Dunham, Carrigan & Hayden in San Francisco. Miss Dunham was a founder of the San Francisco Opera Association, served on its board of governors, was a charter member of the Woman's city club of San Francisco, and a member of the town and Country Club of San Francisco as well. She held a life membership in the Palo Alto YWCA. Content with a single social life, Miss Dunham never married, living in the house at 467 Lincoln until her death in November 1954. She was 85. The house was purchased by William and Eleanor Hodges in 1955.

This is a very good example of a period revival style.

Note:  In 2014 work was started on an addition at the rear of the house. The two roof gables were added sometime before 2010.

 

side view map
Location map

This house was built in 1925 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Frank w. Fox. The property measures 150 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/21/25, 4/17/25, 9/15/25, 1/24/52, 6/23/52, 11/8/54, 12/1/56, obituaries for R. O. Bolman and Mary Dunham; Santa Clara County Assessor's Books; interview: Eleanor Hodges, 1/22/78

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.