PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

381 Lincoln Avenue

Professorville Historic District

inventory photo 381
Inventory photo Photo taken June 14, 2015

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The simple forms of this two-story shingle house are a fine background for the mature planting.

The barn on the property was converted to a residence.

Significance:  The structure is a good example of the restrained design mode of much of the combined Shingle and Colonial revival styles of the period and location (Professorville). The first owner was M. H, Kingore, an early city recorder and one of the organizers of First Methodist Church in Palo Alto.

In 1901 it was purchased by Mrs. S. S. Coe, whose descendants have remained to the present [1984] in the house. They included, besides Mrs. Coe, two generations of the E. L. Hyde family, and the 1984 occupant, Laurette Hyde Cecil. In all four generations there were members who attended Stanford.

 

pillar July 2010
side side
Brandeis photo Brandeis photo
from 365 plaque
porch map
Location map

This house was built in 1894 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder are unknown. The property measures 50 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 11/3/93, 1/5/94, 1/19/94, 4/23/00; First Methodist Church, "Fiftieth Anniversary, 1894–1944," p. 6; interview 1983, Lauretta Cecil

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.