PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

356 Lincoln Avenue

Professorville Historic District

inventory photo 356
Inventory photo Photo taken January 2010.

 

The following is from 1981 revision of the Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory.

Physical appearance:   This large shingle one–story Craftsman bungalow with gabled porch evidences the pavilion massing which is far from standard format for the Craftsman house in other locales, but which is quite common in Palo Alto.

Significance:  The house was designed by Professor Arthur B. Clark, one of Palo Alto's earliest designers and one–time head of the Stanford University Art Department. The pavilion composition is an unusually elegant and sophisticated version of the Craftsman mode.

The house was built for and occupied by Professor and Mrs. Guido Marx. Professor Marx was a member of the Stanford Mechanical Engineering Department from 1895 to 1936. He and his wife were active in Palo Alto's political, musical, and community affairs. They sponsored the first Fritz Kreisler concert at the University. Mrs. Marx served for twenty–one years as a trustee of the Palo Alto Library. It was their home until their deaths in 1945 (Mrs. Marx) and 1949 (Professor Marx). Barbara Marx Givan and her husband Vernon Givan, resided there (1979).

Note: Today, the house is home to another generation, that of the Givan's daughter's family, Barbara and Scott Wallace.

This house was built in 1896, and is a Category 1 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. It has been in the same family continuously.

 

robert Brandeis photo 2010 photo
robert brandeis photo drive
drive map
Location map

This house was built in 1896 and is a Category 1 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was A. B. Clark and the builder was Guido Marx. The property 135 measures 200 by feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Live Oak, 12/30/96, 1/1/00 (photo); Palo Alto Assessor's books, City Hall; Building Department dossiers; interviews, Mr. & Mrs. Vernon Givan, 6/9/78, 1/3/806/0/78

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.