PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

308 Lincoln Avenue

Professorville Historic District

inventory photo 308
Inventory photo Photo taken January 16, 2010

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This two-story severely massed house makes references in its porch detailing to the Colonial Revival. The garage at the rear was originally a stable. The interior has extensive redwood paneling, beamed ceiling and large hearth.

Significance:  A good example of its style, with impressive landscaping. Built in 1902 for Mrs. William A. Kimball, this house first was occupied by Edwin Duryea, a young civil engineer from Cornell. He and his family moved into the large corner house as soon as the typhoid epidemic had subsided. Duryea helped the city develop its water district and served as councilman and vice-mayor.

Engineering professor John Charles Lounsbury Fish bought the house in 1920. Fish began his career at Stanford in 1893 with a specialty in railroad engineering, but took a hint from one of his students who confided that the "crowd" in his class was more interested in his economic theories than in railway locations and developed a course in engineering economics. By 1915 the course subject had become an internationally recognized field. Professor Fish occupied the house until 1940.

Relatively short-term tenants and owners followed in the 1940s and 1950s until the house was acquired by Lydia Morse in 1959.

 

porch 308
August photo entry
corner map
January 16, 2010 photo Location map

This house was built in 1902 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Gustav Laumeister. The property measures 93 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 5/6/02, 1/2/03, 4/1/30, 1/19/50; Palo Alto AAUW, ...Gone Tomorrow?

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.