PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

132 Lincoln Avenue

(Originally 1104 High Street)

inventory photo lincoln 132
Inventory photo Photo taken January 7, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:  This shallow-gabled, stucco Craftsman bungalow uses an angled section as a compositional pivot to dominate its corner site. The curved profile of the eave supports are a rather unusual detail.

Significance:  This building is a good representative of popular and inexpensive Craftsman-derived bungalow building in the 1920s and is an excellent case of site planning. It was one of a group of Dudfield homes of similar construction in the 1000 block of High.

It was first rented then sold to a student, Walter H. Boyd, and his wife Eleanor. In 1926–30 it was occupied by Mrs. Caroline Bramwell. Others later listed as owners were Henry K. Stimson (1946–58). Mrs. Rachel T. Beery (1959–62), and Vera Federov in the 1970s, but for most of the time it has been occupied by short-term tenants. The owner-residents at the date of the inventory were Bradley and Katherine Wilson.

 

2010 photo 2010 photo
PAHA photo map
Photo from Guy Miller Archives of Palo Alto Historical Association Location map

This house was built in 1920 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was and the builder was John Dudfield. The property measures 112.5 by 50 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 9/27/19, 11/2/23; Book 514 (Off. Records), p. 248-9, 4/12/20 (Santa Clara Co. Recorder)

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.