PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

334 Lincoln Avenue

Professorville Historic Districe

inventory photo
334
Inventory photo Photo taken May 12, 2008

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance: This two-story shingle Colonial Revival house is symmetrical in its basic form but the asymmetrical porch placement obscures the fact.  

Significance:  When Rev. Hyde's son, William F. Hyde, was asked by the Stanfords to found and operate the campus bookstore, the family decided to build in Palo Alto so the other seven children could avail themselves of the university. The Hydes were only one of many families who were attracted to Palo Alto for this reason. After her father's death, Laura Hyde offered board and room to Stanford people. At one time, the entire law faculty was housed there until each had married! A grandson of the original owner was living in the house in 1985, although it had been sold to Richard and Cherie Helm in 1969. Richard and Cherie Helm were the owners in 1985.

Restored to a single family residence by current owners Harris and Megan Barton, it received a PAST Residential Preservation Award in 2008 in recognition of its preservation and renovation.

This house is a restrained but very impressive example of the Colonial Revival style.

 

stairs entry
street view dormers
before restoration
2002 photo before restoration Location map

This house was built in 1897 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was J. W. Ford and also possibly George W. Mosher. The property measures 95 by 200 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 4/16/97, 5/21/97, 6/11/97, 6/25/97, 10/24/97, 1/2/00; AAUW, ... Gone Tomorrow?; Assessment Book (Palo Alto), 1898; Palo Alto Live Oak, 12/29/97, 1/1/00 (early photo)

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.