PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

390 Leland Avenue

Lockwood–Holston Residence

Inventory photo


Inventory photo
AAUW photo

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The steeply gabled roof forms of the Colonial Revival Variant are enriched by the play of void and solid created by the second floor loggia, and the playful and unlikely game of scale at the entrance.

The exterior structure has remained unchanged since 1922. It is a two-story home with enclosed, glassed in sun porch on the Ash Street side and a small balcony off the front bedroom on the Leland Avenue side.

The property includes a garage/workshop.

Significance:  One of the houses commissioned by S. W. Lockwood, a director of the Cooperative Land and Trust Co., which opened the Evergreen Park tract in 19904, the year Lockwood arrived from Los Angeles.

In 1921 the house was sold to Bert R. Holston, the Mayfield station agent for the Southern Pacific RR. The Holstons occupied it until his death in 1941. In more recent years, often used as a duplex or rooming house, but now again a one-family residence.

Tommy and Judy Derrick were the owners at the time of the Inventory.

Note: This section of Palo Alto was known as Evergreen Park before it became part of Mayfield.

 

sketch of 390 map
Sketch from ... Gone Tomorrow? Location map

This house was built in 1904 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Ole Olsen. The property measures 75 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 9/14/04, 1/4/05; 3/2/05 and 5/1/06 (illustrated advertisements); personal knowledge of longtime Evergreen Park resident, Lillian Kirkbride; Palo Alto AAUW, ...Gone Tomorrow?, Palo Alto Historical Association archives, California Home, July 1904; interview 7/81, Judy Derrick

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.