PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

250 Leland Avenue — Demolished 1987

inventory photo AAUW photo
Inventory photo 1971 AAUW photo from ...Gone Tomorrow?

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This small Queen Anne house has all the elements of its style: tower, verandah, balusters, fish-scale patterned shingles, superb landscaping, all in a compact, almost miniaturized version of the style.

Significance:  An excellent example of the style, unchanged since it was built although now supported by mature landscaping.

An early owner, Gentile C. Stura, migrated from Italy with his family in 1907; coming to Palo Alto three years later, he worked for ten years as a painter and then opened an automobile paint shop at High and forest Streets. He moved into the house at 250 Leland in 1922 and lived there until his death in 1954. To the present (1985), four generations of the Stura family have occupied residence.

Note: This section of Palo Alto was known as Evergreen Park before it became part of Mayfield.

newspaper photo map
Newspaper photo from the early 1900s (...Gone Tomorrow?) Location map

This house was built in 1904 and demolished in 1987. It was a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder is unknown. The property measures 50 by 125 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/2/05, 5/1/06 (illustrated advertisements), 9/20/54; Palo Alto AAUW, ...Gone Tomorrow?; interview 7/81 with Luisa Stura

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.