PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

431–433 Kipling Street

(405 Kipling Group)

HRB photo Lucy Spaziano photo
Historic Resources Board photo 1985photo 2015 Photo

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   A simplified shingle and clapboard two-story "four-square" , with side bay at the right and enlarged rear section at the left. Because fenestration is relatively sparse, the large front window with checkerboard grid of mullions at the top is particularly noticeable. The second entry door (433) is probably an alteration. One of the group of early Palo Alto houses surviving in the commercial zone.

Significance:  Part of a group of early Palo Alto residences surviving in the commercial zone.

Like the house at 411 Kipling, built for Mr. and Mrs. Hiland H. Holly, after his death, Mrs. Holly remained in the residence until 1916.

Mrs. Gideon (Jane C.) Leonard and her daughter, Maude Belle Leonard, occupied the house from 1916–1932; Maude was a graduate of Whitman College and the University of California school of art. By 1938 the building had become the Shade Shop of B. S. Gibson, and remains in commercial use.

The Thoits Brothers were the owner in 1983.

 

HRB photo map
1985 HRB photo Location map

This house was built in 1901 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builders were either George Mosher (1901) or Gustav Laumeister (there were conflicting reports in the 6/28/01 and 1/3/02 issues of the Palo Alto Times). The property measures 50 by 112.5 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 4/5/01, 6/28/01, 1/3/02, 3/23/42

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.