PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

249 Kipling Street

Inventory photo Lucy Spaziano 2015 photo
Inventory photo Photo taken 2015 by Lucy Spaziano

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This Colonial Revival house is topped by a steep-roofed gable form which is more common to older metropolitan areas than it is to the Peninsula. The tiny window and miniature balcony [no longer there] over the entrance emphasize, by contrast, the massive qualities of the rest of the façade.

Significance:  An example of one type of Colonial Revival construction. Probably one of the two cottages built on Kipling near Everett in 1903, and sold in March, 1904. Professor and Mrs. A. S. Dudley were the occupants in 1910, followed by Dr. and Mrs. La Forest E. Phillips. Phillips earned his medical degree from Stanford, practiced for 35 years in Palo Alto, and was a medical officer for Southern Pacific Railroad Co. for 40 years.

From 1914 to 1940 the house was owned by William and Loretta Rohner. Rohner was a motorman for the streetcar line in Palo Alto; after the line was shut down he was employed at Stanford and was custodian for Frost Amphitheater for 17 years. He and a brother also operated the Sunset Dairy.

Josephine and James Grant acquired the property in 1939. James, an electrician, died in 1984.

 

249

This house was built in 1903 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was H.L. Upham. The property measures 50 by 112 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/1/04, 3/1/04, 7/10/39, 2/17/40, 3/20/54. 12/30/67; interview 1985, Josephine Grant

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.