PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

501 Kingsley Avenue

Fleugel House

Inventory photo 2012 photo
Inventory photo Photo taken April 16, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This two-story, shingle and clapboard Colonial Revival house is given a visual focus by its elegant semi-circular entrance porch (which may be a later addition as is the large side veranda). the windows exhibit vaguely classic detailing and their placement is rather erratic. a horizontal belt course separates first and second floors, and brackets support the eaves at the roof line. Diamond shaped panes provide decoration in dormer windows while windows in the lower portion of the house have rectangular panes. The small idiosyncrasies of the structure add to its interest and individuality.

Significance:  This massive house with gambrel roof and prominent eaves was built for Professor Ewald Fleugel, a noted philologist and Chaucer scholar, who came to Stanford in 1892 from the University of Leipsig. It was said that in his yard a private vault was built to hold his manuscripts of unpublished research. the Fleugels were succeeded by F. A. Kolster (1924-34), and other short-term occupants.

From the 1950s to early 1970s, it was owned by Andre L. Hobson, but sometimes rented to others. The next owners were David and Shulamith Rubinfien.

 

Guy Miller Archive photo porch
side door arbor
corner view fireplace
robert brandeis photo map
Robert Brandeis photo Location map

This house was built in 1897 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect builder was James w. Wells. The property measures 150 by feet 100.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 8/6/97, 10/20/97, 11/2/97, 12/31/97, 11/16/14; Palo Alto AAUW, ...Gone Tomorrow?, p. 43; interview 1984, Shulamith Rubinfien; P.A. Live Oak 8/4/97, 1/1/00 (early photo)

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.