PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

457 Kingsley Avenue

Professorville Historic District

457 Inventory photo 2015 photo
Inventory photo Photo taken June 14, 2015

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This large Tudor Revival house has a very finely detailed entrance and a half timber pattern which is abstractly modular rather than quaintly picturesque. The garage is a complimentary adjunct.

Significance:  The Palo alto times reported that in June 1914, Mrs. Francis w. Allen bought a building permit to construct a two-story residence with a basement, attic and adjacent garage. the cost was estimated at $20,000.

This carefully designed residences is one of Palo Alto's finer period revival buildings.

Soon after its completion, the house was occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Burke Corbett (1856-1934). Corbett, a San Francisco attorney who came to Palo Alto in 1900 was on Palo Alto's early board of Trustees (1902-03). Both he and his son, Edward, died in automobile accidents.

in 1926, Franklin P. Nutting (1877-1934) and his wife Mercy purchased the house. Nutting, an attorney was a past president of the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce and a member of the city's planning commission. Periodically, the Nuttings rented to others, including the George W. Nickel family (insurance) and the Dean of the Stanford School of Education, Grayson N. Professorville, (1900-1946). In 1952 the Presbyterian Church acquired the house for its Westminster Center and for other socially-oriented projects.

 

from side corner
entry 457
Robert Brandeis photo map
Robert Brandeis photo Location map

This house was built in 1914 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Arthur t. O'Brien of Smith & O'Brien in San Francisco. The builder is unknown. The property measures120 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 10/29/14, 4/27/34, 1/5/46, 1/21/57, 10/30/57; Assessor's Books

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.