PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

334 Kingsley Avenue

Professorville Historic District

Inventory Photo 334
Inventory photo Photo taken September 30, 2003

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This formal symmetrical Georgian/Colonial Revival composition projects considerable presence and dignity.

Significance:  This is a fine example of the style and type.

In 1903 President David Starr Jordan invited a young physiology professor, James Rollin Slonaker, to leave the University of Chicago and join the Stanford faculty. Professor Slonaker immediately engaged George Mosher to erect the distinguished home. Slonaker did extensive research on high protein diets and the effects of food, environment and activities on the albino rat. He also contributed to the bird collection of the Junior Museum in Palo Alto.

Dennis and Deborah Fife acquired the property from the Slonaker estate in 1964.

 

window Robert Bramdeis photo
334 fence
door bay window
1903 map
1903 photo Location map

This house was built in 1903 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was George Mosher. The property measures 100 by 190 feet.

Sources: Polk's City Directories; Palo Alto Times 12/30/04; Professorville Brochure; Palo Alto AAUW, ...Gone Tomorrow?; Assessor's Books; Building Department files

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.