PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

320 Kellogg Avenue

(originally 1401 Bryant Street, then 310 Kellogg Avenue)

inventory photo 320
Inventory photo Photo taken May 4, 2014

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This two-story Colonial Revival (Georgian) house features a prominent entrance hood and delicate leaded glass patterns in the stair-bay windows. In the 1950s it was enlarged by enclosure of rear and side patio and entry areas, and the garden on the northeast was cut away to subdivide the lot in the 1960s.

Significance:  The wife of the original owner, a native of England, called for an "Irish-Georgian" house and the architect's better-than-average response met her expectations. It was built for Samuel and Maud Smith. He was a mining engineer from the Rocky Mountain states, a friend of Herbert Hoover. On a visit to Hoover, he was taken with the area and decided to settle in Palo Alto. the Smiths kept the house until 1949 and were followed by another engineer, Robert M. Kennedy. The Kennedys enclosed patio and entry areas to provide additional bedrooms and a study, and lived in the house until 1961.

Dr. Birt and Mrs. Doris Harvey followed them (1962 to 1984) and subdivided the large lot. The next owner was Donald A. Way.

 

real estate photo  
entry map
Location map

This house was built in 1916 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Fred Meyer of San Francisco and the builder was F. W. Fox. The property measures 175 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 6/13/16, 7/12/16, 1/2/17, 5/7/35; interviews 1985 Mrs. Robert M. Kennedy, Doris Harvey

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.