PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

190 Island Drive
(originally 190 Park Way)

Landmark Building

Inventory photo 190
Inventory photo Photo taken June 9, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This L-shaped two-story Spanish Colonial Revival house has a cantilevered balcony and metal window cage. The entry is slightly sculptured. A corner lot with careful planting enhances its substantial appearance. A dining room window and servants' quarters were added in the 1950s.

Significance:  The structure is a good example of a style and type important to the visual qualities of the city. The first owner was Garton d. Keyston, an attorney, who kept the house until 1939. William M. Smith, a mining engineer, next occupied it (1940 to 1967). Between 1968 and 1972, short-term owners were Charles J. Keenan and P. J. Pelligrini, after which it was acquired by Percival J. and Elizabeth Gartly.

The architect was a well-established Northern California designer whose works include important buildings on the campus of the University of California, Davis. Others involved in the design, Stedman and Kiler, were important locally.

The owners in 1985 were Percival J. and Elizabeth Gartly.

190
190 map
Sculptured entry Location map

 

This house was built in 1929 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The original architect was Frederick Confers; Morgan Stedman designed the addition. Landscaping was by Leslie Kiler and the original builder was O. L. Cavanagh. E. J. Schmailing worked on the house in 1940. The property measures 150 by 74 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 10/19/29, 1/20/40; interviews, 1985: Elizabeth Gartly, Charles J. Keeenan, Allan Mitchell, William Keyston

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.