PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

225 Homer Avenue (moved to 449 Monroe Avenue)

231 Homer Avenue and 748 Ramona Street both demolished

225 HOmer 449 Monroe
Inventory photo of 225 Homer 449 Monroe Avenue

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1981:

Physical appearance:   The screen at the side of the entrance porch is highly unusual for the period, if it is original. Otherwise, contrasting horizontal bands of clapboard and patterned shingles decorate a severe box which has been notched at one corner for the entry. This vernacular design utilizes Queen Anne and Eastlake style details. Less distinctive are the cottages at 231 Homer and 748 Ramona, simple but not skimped, modestly charming when restored or well-kept.

Significance:  The structure is essentially a box whose minimal decorative gestures are used for maximum effect. The structure at 225 Homer [moved to 449 Monroe Drive in 1895], the earliest of the group between 201 and 231 Homer, is a designated building in the City's Historic Preservation Inventory. The houses at 225 and 231 Homer and 748 Ramona passed from hand to hand, but for long periods were the residences of the Mock, Sato, and other early Chinese families of Palo Alto.

Note: A condominium development replaced these three homes. The Palo Alto Historic Resources Board was instrumental in saving the house at 225 Homer Avenue. They worked with Ken Darrow, the eventual owner, and the City to move it to a suitable lot at 449 Monroe Drive.

 

map
Original Location map

225 Homer was built in 1901 and was moved in 1985 to save it from demolition. It is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. 231 Homer was built in 1923, and 748 Ramona in 1910; they were demolished in 1985. The architect and builder are not known. The original property measured 75 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times building reports 1900 ff; Palo Alto Historical Association files;

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.