PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

212–214 Homer Avenue

Richco / Thompson Bakery / Palo Alto Bread

map 212
Inventory photo Photo taken April 10, 2013

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1988:

Physical appearance (pre-rehabilitation):  This one and two story with basement and hydraulic elevator stucco over concrete structure contributes to the Homer streets cape in both scale and design. The building is symmetrically designed with double entrances (the southern one is covered by a wooden gate/grill). A "Richco" sign covers the clerestory windows on the south side of the building.

The second story has four windows; the center two are original 9-light steel, while the side windows retain the original lower sections with aluminum double-hung replacing the top six lights.

The two-story Emerson façade has the original, randomly placed steel fenestration. "Thompson's Bakery" and "Palo Alto Bread" are painted over embossed plaster signs that are on the Homer façade. The Homer Avenue windows sit above a concrete wainscot. One of the obscure glass windows above the main windows has been replaced by an air conditioner. The doorways are recessed, as are the others along this section of Homer Avenue.

Significance: Alfred G. Thompson's bakery originated at 206–210 Homer Avenue and expanded into new quarters provided by this building, which Thompson commissioned, in 1925. The bakery remained until 1938. In 1962 it became the facility for Richco (janitorial supplies), and was purchased by Richco owner, Richard H. Kruss in 1965.

See also 206210 Homer Avenue.

In 2013, the Kruss family (Richard and Lorraine), Lippert & Lippert Design (Lee and Carol), and Lindstrom & Sons Builders were presented PAST Preservation Awards for its rehabilitation.

tile corner
restored windows detail
embossed signage
Original embossed signs Location map

This house was built in 1925 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The property measures 66 by 100 feet. The original builder/owner was Alfred G. Thompson. Lee Lippert was architect for its rehabilitation, and Lindstrom & Sons was the builder. The property measures 66 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 8/26/25, 1/2/26, 7/12/27, 1/20/38; interview February 1988, Richard H. Kruss

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.