PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

200 Homer Avenue


Inventory photo
  200
emerson view
Inventory photo Top photo taken March 25, 2005, Emerson side photo taken July 8, 2013

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1981:

Physical appearance:   This and the adjacent structure are rare survivals of early twentieth century commercial building of the most utilitarian, least adorned kind. The shop at 200 Homer Avenue is covered with narrow clapboard and its façade has faint touches of classically-derived detail.

A stable at the rear, two stories high, has been connected to the main building. The stable's Emerson Street façade has a large entry and structural fittings at the upper level to permit lifting in heavy objects, hay, etc.

Significance:  William D. Cashel, oldest son of Mrs. Bridget Cashel, began work as a plumber in the 1890s, and, with his brother Edward P. Cashel, established the Cashel Brothers firm of plumbers in 1902. William left the city in a few years and Edward was joined by his brother John J. Cashel

In 1905-06 the shop at the intersection of Homer and Emerson became the Cashel locale.

John J. Cashel dropped out of the business in 1926 while Edward carried it on until 1939. John was known for his athletic interests, having played on the U. S. Olympic rugby team which won the gold medal in 1924.

Edward helped found the Palo Alto volunteer Fire Department in 1895, remained active in civic affairs, and served on the City Council from 1937 to 1955.

 

Early photo emerson side
Early photo showing two buildings. Note sealed windows at Homer end of wall.
detail corner
 
hay hook map
Highlighted area locates hoist Location map

This structure was built in 1905 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. It was honored in 2001 with a Preservation Award for its careful maintenance by the family. The builder was H. L. Upham. The property measures 25 by 112 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 8/24/05, 1/5/06, 8/15/45, 9/26/54; Palo alto Historical Association files; interview June 1981, Patricia Cashel Schmidt

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.