PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

2160 High Street

inventory photo 2160
Inventory photo Photo taken February 19, 2016

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This straightforward small Spanish Colonial Revival house emphasizes simplicity of form except for the exuberant bird house turret topped by a fine weather vane.

The house now has a second-story, but the original structure is very recognizable.

Significance:  A fine example of the modest uses of the popular Spanish Colonial Revival style, particularized by the fantasy of the bird-house turret at the corner. Margaret Ludlow, the original owner, first rented the house to R. Clinton Coppock, then sold it to Allen D. Fisher (1933–1945).

He was succeeded in 1946 by John H. Johnson, and, from 1950 to at least 1985, it was owned by Virginia J. Valentine, widow of P. C. Valentine. She was a teacher at Castilleja School.

 

 

front turret corner
turret map
Turret and original weather vane Location map

This house was built in 1928 and was a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The owner/builder was Margaret Ludlow. The property measures 50 by 112.5 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 6/27/28, 2/2/50; Palo Alto building Department file; interview, 1985, R. Clifton Coppock

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.