PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

964 Hamilton Avenue

inventory photo 964
Inventory photo Photo taken August 24, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   A modest Tudor Revival house with a very convincing imitation thatch shingle roof. The two gables of the facade contain a restrained half-timbering design that adds to the medieval imagery of the composition.

Significance:  A convincing rendition of the atmospheric escapist design modes of the period. It was built for Dr. E. C. Clendennin, a dentist, who resided in it until 1939.

Following the Clendennins were Henry J. and Grace McArthur. McArthur, born in Woodside, lived in Palo Alto from 1908 onward, becoming bookkeeper for the Dudfield Lumber Co. and Secretary-Manager of the Palo Alto Merchant's Association. The McArthurs remained in the house until shortly before the present owners [Rudolf and Gertrude Bock, 1978] acquired it in 1954.

 

964 map

This house was built in 1922 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder are unknown. The property measures 62.5 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 5/22/22, 6/5/22, 12/27/48

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.