PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1424 Hamilton Avenue

inventory photo
Inventory photo

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   Modestly sized, this stucco and half-timbered one-story house contains an interesting half-timber design at the entry and a tall window at the opposite end which balances the composition. Additional decorative interest in provided by the brackets at the entry, roof forms, and window pane divisions.

Significance:   The inventive juxtaposition of materials, forms, and scales gives a fantasy-land version of the Tudor Revival mode. The first owners were William H. and Gladys G. Curtis (1931 – 1955). Curtis was the Pacific Coast manager for the American Tobacco Co.

From 1955 – 1971, the owner was John C. Fay, a mechanical engineer with the Guy Atkinson Co. Mark and Sandra Silver owned the house in the '70s, followed by John and Ann Riddle.

2016: There is a large two-story addition behind the original house. (Year unknown.)

 

map
Location map

This house was built in 1930 and is a 4 Category on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Aro and Okerman. The property measures 60 by 120 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 6/18/30, Dec. 1943; interview 1985, Ann Riddle

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.