PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1266 Hamilton Avenue

inventory photo 1266
Inventory photo Photo taken March 25, 2015

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The massing of building forms and roof shapes, combined with sharply contrasting unusual half timbering of the second story, lend importance to this two-story wood, brick, and stucco house.

Significance:  This is probably the most elaborate and original designs among a number of Tudor Revival houses produced by William Klay in Palo Alto, and exemplifies one of the popular choices for fine houses added to the city in the late 1920s and 1930s. For two years (1948 – 1949) it was the home of Don Edwards, later Congressman from the San Jose area. Will Mendell owned it from 1950 – 1966, and it then was acquired by John and Ann Griffiths.

 

map
Location map

This house was built in 1934 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder was William Klay. The property measures 105 by 110 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 12/1/33; interviews 1985, William Klay, Scott R. Lawson, Nancy Merryman, Ann Griffiths

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.