PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1220 Hamilton Avenue

inventory photo 1220
Inventory photo Photo taken March 29, 2915

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This one-story stucco residence combines Streamline Moderne and Spanish Colonial Revival style images. The gate and entry utilize Moderne detailing while the tile, brick, and patio suggest Mediterranean/Spanish origins. The strongest overall image appears to be the Moderne. The garage door is probably not original.

Significance:  The structure represents an interesting and perhaps surprisingly successful combination of Spanish Colonial and Streamline Moderne styles. The patio and placement of the main portion of the house rather privately to the rear is a Spanish Colonial Revival dwelling approach while the more visible aspects of the house appear to be Moderne.

It was designed as a penthouse on the ground. Frank A. Hapgood, for whom the house was built, was the son of Alfred A. and Ella Hapgood. He came with his parents to Palo Alto in 1906. He first was employed by the Bank of Palo Alto, then, in 1912, with Arthur Roller, joined the mortuary firm which his father had started. Hapgood and his wife Harriet occupied the house until 1945. They we succeeded by Dr. G. S. O'Brien (1946 – 1947) and Dr. H. M. Slater (1948 – 1950). The owners from 1953 to 1956 were Clinton and Helen Goetze, and from 1957 – 1968, Robert Sackett, purchasing manager for Safeway Stores. Sigrid Rupp acquired the property in 1971.

 

decoration
1220
entry
entry map
Notice the three colors used for the walls. Location map

This house was built in 1938 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was Birge Clark and the builder was E. J. Schmaling. The property measures 62 by 125 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/3/38, 11/21/49, 1/3/55; Guy C. Miller, Palo Alto Community Book, p. 209

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.