PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

625 Hale Street

Landmark Property

inventory photo 625 Hale
Inventory photo Photo taken June 29, 2011

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   A large house with severe masses accented by small elements of elaborate ornamentation. There is an interesting counterpoint of arched forms. Carefully planted grounds are provided compatible garden structures.

Significance:  This building represents the use of the Churrigueresque for upper middle class housing. Dudfield, the builder and original owner, used its photograph for promotional purposes. He and his wife Lillian were long-time residents in Palo Alto. He descended from James Dudfield, a Londoner who came to the United States in 1856 and settled in San Jose.

His son John, born in Watsonville, worked in Redwood City for a lumber company and then established his own firm in 1903. It cut redwoods in the Coastal foothills and was a considerable source of timber for local building as well as for shipment elsewhere. Dudfield extended his activities into construction and real estate development on the Peninsula.

The Dudfields were succeeded in 1946 by Freeman A. Ingelson, owner of the Economy Market (1946 – 1953); William A. Casler, an engineer with Stanford Research Institute (1955 – 1962); and from 1963, Setsuo and Norma Dairiki.

 

Krista Van Laan photo
Krista van Laan photo 2015
625 detail
window detail entry
balcony street view
path map
Location map

This house was built in 1925 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory and was identified as a Landmark property. The architect was Wolfe & Higgins, and the builder was John Dudfield. The property measures 184 by 150 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 6/21/00, 7/24/25, 2/26/29, 10/5/53; Frank M. Stanger, Sawmills in the Redwoods:  Logging in the San Francisco Peninsula 1849 – 1967, (San Mateo, San Mateo County Historical Association, 1967), p. 99

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.