PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1037 Greenwood Avenue

inventory photo
Inventory photo Photo taken 2015

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This two-story Craftsman house has its lower floor organized horizontally by string courses. The battered stucco base and the trellis of the porch enforce the Craftsman-Prairie School image.

Significance:  This house illustrates the close relationship between the Craftsman movement and the Prairie School designers. it was presented for sale in May, 1908, and a J. J. Morris advertisement that illustrates it nearby the recently completed Harker's School (Ernest Coxhead, architect).

William J. Prout, engaged in real estate, is listed in 1910 as the owner. Harker's School bought it in 1913. Used for various purposes and known as "Greenwood Cottage", it provided classroom space during the Depression when Harker's rented its main building to Stanford University. It remained part of the Harker School property until the mid–60s. During the late 60s and early 70s, Florence Terlinda and Fadio Mousolam were owners, prior to its acquisition in 1977 by Thomas and Lydia Moran. The Morans sold the home in 2008 after which alterations were made by the new owner.

 

map
Location map

This house was built in 1908 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder was Frank D. Wolfe of San Jose. The property measures 50 by 155 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 5/13/08, 4/17/09' Harker's School file, Palo Alto Historical Association archive; interview, 1985, Lydia Moran

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.