PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

651 Gilman Street — Demolished

inventory
Inventory photo

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The Mission Revival gable vent is an unexpected element in an otherwise Queen Anne styled structure.

Significance:  This is a good example of the tendency of Queen Anne designers to borrow decorative devices from a wide range of sources. The house was built for Mrs. Luella B. Sohler, wife of Dr. Frank E. Sohler. Both she and her husband earned their A.B. degrees from Stanford (1903, 1905), he the M.D. in 1906. Almost immediately after the house was completed, it became the home of Emil Francis Weisshaar, a native of Mayfield who moved his business to Palo Alto in 1899 and established the town's first grocery store. The Stanford Axe was his gift to the students. He was town marshall at the time of the 1906 earthquake, a long-time municipal employee, and city fire chief.

In 1920 the house was occupied by the family of Charles O. King, who came to the city in 1910 from San Luis Obispo. He was a prominent authority on taxation and served with a number of local, county, and state agencies. After his death in 1916, Mrs. King and a daughter, Mabel, lived in the house until the 1940s, occasionally renting to others. Subsequently, few tenants stayed more than one or two years.

The non-resident owner in 1983 was William A. Roper et al.

 

map
Location map

This house was built in 1902 and was a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was George W. Mosher. The property measured 50 by 70 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 6/13/02, 1/2/03, 2/5/16, 4/15/18, 6/24/34, 8/25/41, 2/21/47, 4/25/52; Stanford Alumni Review, February and May 1947

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.