PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

680 Forest Avenue

inventory photo 680
Inventory photo Photo taken April 16, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The massive proportions of the Craftsman bungalow are emphasized by the wide fattened arch of the porch. the corbeled brackets also contirbute to the atmosphere of strength.

Significance:  A fine interpretation of the Craftsman mode, built for an Alaskan miner, E. P. Short. His wife was a Palo Altoan, Anna O'Leary. It was owned by the Short family until the mid-70s when it was purchased by Bernard Aarons.

Note: This home was awarded a PAST Preservation Award in 2003 when the owner was Glenn Rosendale. Owners Saman Behtash and Gemma Gonzato accepted a centennial plaque for this house in 2016.

 

 

680 map

This house was built in 1916 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Sam Pedrift. The property measures 50 by 150 feet. It received a PAST Preservation Award in 2003.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/25/16; interview 1984, Dr. Bernard Aarons

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.