PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

543 – 545 Forest Avenue

Weller/Wright House

Inventory photo 545 Forest
Inventory photo July 26, 2017 photos

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   An oddly proportioned round bay tower and an arcaded porch with a small, heavily decorated gable perched over its central column contribute to the unusual visual qualities of this small Queen Anne house.

There is a flared belt-course at the second-floor level of the two-story structure, with a band of fish-scale shingle courses contrasting with the standard shingle surface of the rest of the building. The ground floor windows of the bay are somewhat over-scaled, and appear to reach from floor to ceiling.

Significance:  The structure is a fine, playful example of the Queen Anne type. Mrs. Genevieve Wright, a music teacher, and Paula Wright are listed in the city directory at the address 1901 – 1904, but the present building appears to have been built in 1905. Its original owner was Dr. J. D. Pomeroy, a veterinarian, who occupied it until 1915.

It became a duplex about 1925. J. R. and Ella Vandergrift occupied the portion at 545 forest from 1926 – 1946, when it became a quadruplex.

 

tower walk
porch front
address & Mailboxes map

This house was built in 1905 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder are unknown. The property measures 50 by 200 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/5/06, 12/19/13, 6/21/17, 11/4/44

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.