PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

345 Forest Avenue

Laning Chateau / Staller Court

inventory photo fountain
Inventory photo Entry

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This five–story Spanish Colonial Revival apartment house has a Moorish dome, not visible from close–up, which is a prominent visual skyline landmark of the area. The Churrigueresque entrance and a forecourt fountain provide the necessary period chic. It contained 85 two and three–room apartments.

Significance:  This is a fine example of an urban form and a prominent visual landmark. Its modified Moorish Revival parapets combine with churrigueresque ornament to relate it to others of the area. The L–shaped form of the building allows its corner site to become a miniature plaza/entry garden complete with fountain and special landscaping. This careful siting enriches both the building and the streetscape.

Note:  The building received a Palo Alto Stanford Heritage Preservation Award in 2017 for the rehabilitation and restoration of this structure.

full view  full view
after map

This apartment house was built in 1927 and is a Category 2 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect was J. C. Hladik from San Francisco and the builder/owner was Wm. Staller of San Francisco. The property measures 112 by 100 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto Times 9/28/27; Assessor's Books, City Hall, Palo Alto; Polk's City Directory, Palo Alto; Building Department, City Hall, Palo Alto

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.