PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1271 Forest Avenue
(originally 1141 Forest)

inventory photo
Inventory photo

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   The diminished scale of this half-timber Tudor Revival cottage produces a doll house-like image. The oversized living room window is unusual.

Significance:  The juxtaposition of gabled forms and the manipulation of scale are the key design elements of this interesting house. Its first owner was Hugh A. Moran, attorney (1938 – 1947), followed by Wendell F. Peterson (1948 – 1961), then Joyce and Eric Duckstad.

 

map
Location map

This house was built in 1936 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder/owner was W. E. Grimm. The property measures 62 by 107 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 5/12/36; interview 1985, Joyce Duckstad, Mrs. Daniel Mendelowitz

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.