PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1055 Forest Avenue

(Originally 1015 Forest)

Newcomer House

inventory photo 1055
Inventory photo Photo taken September 28, 2013

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This two-story house derives interest from the abstract quallities of its form and the simplified motifs of the porch, both of which derive from the classical Revival mode.

Significance:  A fine example of simplified Classical Revival styling. it was built for Professor Alphonso G. Newcomer, of the Stanford English Department. The Newcomers were followed (1915 – 1918) by Professor Howard J. Hall and retired Colonel Clifford N. Whitney of the Army Veterinary Corps (1919 – 1931).

Hugh G. and Elizabeth Landes acquired the property in 1948, and it was been occupied [1978] by a number of tenants since then.

 

1055 chimney
entry map
October 2012 photo Location map

This house was built in 1896 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. It was awarded a 2002 PAST Heritage Spirit of Place Preservation Award.The architect was H. L. Upham and the builder was (P. P.) Quinn & (H. L.) Upham. The property measures 90 by 102 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 7/17/96, 12/30/96, 1/1/97, 9/17/13, 1/3/24, 2/15/77; Palo Alto Live Oak, 1/1/00 photo

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.