PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

412 Everett Avenue

inventory photo recent photo
Inventory photo New photos taken March and April 2015

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This one-story vernacular cottage has Stick, Eastlake and Colonial Revival influences in its fish-scale shingles in the gable, the simple porch railing, the panel-like treatment of the wall areas at the bay window, and the fragmented gable pediment.

Since the date of the Inventory, a second-story was added , thus moving the original level to the second-story.

Significance:  A good example of a standard stripped Queen Anne type. Improvements on the site were assessed to Charles Poole in 1894. The Palo Alto Times and Live Oak reports indicate that houses were built in the block for the Pooles in 1895, 1896, and 1897. The new house reported built by R. H. Brydon in 1922 at 412 Everett is probably the stucco house at 404 Everett, obviously much newer than the house presently given the 412 number. In 1901 – 1903, 412 Everett was occupied by Mr. and Mrs. M. G. Slade and Mr. and Mrs. George Slade (parents of M. G.).  M. G. Slade was a smoke shop and billiard parlor owner, the brother of W.S. Slade, the principal barber of the town at the time.

From 1904 – 1907, it was the home of Mr. and Mrs. F. R. Cookson. Cookson was a teamster and fruit dealer. The, until 1922, it was occupied by William M. Jones, a Welsh tailor who came to Palo Alto in 1907.

Occupants in the '20s were Mrs. Mathilda Roberts and Mr. and Mrs. Forest W. Reeves. From 1940 to 1971 the house belonged to P. H. and Sarah J. Crawford, sometimes occupied by them, but frequently rented to others. A niece who handled the estate after their death believed the house had been build for them about 1906.

 

Feb 2105 photo chimney
detail 412
HHT photo map
1999 photo Location map

This house was built in 1895 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The original builder was G. Wigle with P. P. Quinn doing work in 1897. The property measures 50 by 125 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 1/2/96, 7/27/96, 7/5/21, 12/1/21, 10/3/22, 3/26/34, 10/10/45, 3/17/51; interview 1984, Mrs. Einar Sunde; P.A. Assessor's Books, 1984 (P.A. Library); Palo Alto Live Oak, 11/15/77

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.