PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1176 Emerson Street

Professorville Historic District

iventory photo 1176
Inventory photo Photo taken January 7, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This stucco and tile 2-story, L-shaped Spanish Colonial Revival apartment building is placed on the lot so as to define an entry court. The entry transom detail, relief ornamentation and decorative window treatment are carefully considered.

In 1980 the lot was subdivided and a second residence built fronting Emerson street [1174]. The entry court of the original house was surrounded by a high stucco wall with wrought-iron gate in the same year.

Significance:  A good example of a stately variant of Spanish colonial Revival style, suggestion an urban or public outlook more that the hacienda atmosphere. Its owners included: 1925 – 1931, William H. and Justine Niemann; 1935 – 1940, Mrs. Edris Glassman and daughter Jane; 1941 – 1950: Sandalio G. and Lydia Callejo.

Beginning in the mid-1950s, for fifteen years the building served as the Canterbury House Social Center for Stanford University students. In the 1970s it was occupied by the Peninsula Conservation Center.

The owner at the time of the Inventory was Butch Hazlett who did not reside there.

 

1176 entry map

This house was built in 1925 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Elmer J. Montgomery. The property measured 150 by feet 110.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 5/9/25; Palo Alto Historical Association files; interview, Butch Hazlett, May 1981

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.