PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1128 Emerson Street

Professorville Historic District

inventory photo 1128
Inventory photo Photo taken January 7, 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This two-story stucco house is distinguished by its banded fenestration and its massively proportioned jerkin-head roof.

Significance:  This is an unusual and highly-skilled design. Its first owner was Miss Josephine C. Beedy, a graduate of Stanford in 1907; although she moved to San Francisco in 1918 she retained a strong interest in Stanford and Palo Alto until her death in 1941.

Charles Reynolds, who lived in the house in 1919, founded Coast Agencies Ltd. and was its head for 30 years.  A series of families occupied it for brief periods between 1920 and 1934. Then (1934 – 1941) it was the residence of Raymond W. and Mary Holmes. Mrs. Holmes was on the nursing staff of the Palo Alto Hospital. He became director of the Board of Equalization office in Salinas after the family moved from Palo Alto. Their son, Theodore, was an Air Force Captain who died in World War II

Professor James T. Watkins and his wife Elise purchased the home in 1948. He was in the Stanford Political Science department for 27 years before retirement in 1973, its chairman 1953 – 1958, and one of the most popular teachers at the University. He died in 1982.

 

Robert Brandeis photo
Robert Brandeis photo
entry
Guy Miller Archieve photo map

This house was built in 1916 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Nels Hansen. The property measures 50 by 112.5 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 3/25/16, 7/14/41, 3/8/43, 3/23/45, 11/5/58, 9/30/82, 10/2/82

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.