PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1118 Emerson Street

Professorville Historic District

inventory photo 1118
Inventory photo Photo taken 2010

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This small two-story Craftsman/Prairie School house reveals the touch of a sophisticated designer in its proportions, the second floor belt course, and the clean lines of its fenestration.

Significance:  This is a superb example of the high-art, small-scale house.

The first owner was Mrs. Florence C. Graham, who came to Palo Alto while her son and two daughters attended Stanford. In 1920 it became the home for 45 years of Dr. Alvin J. and Mary A. Cox. Cox earned the A.B. and M.A. at Stanford, 1927, joined the Stanford medical school faculty in 1933, and headed the pathology department for 25 years from 1941.

At the time of the Inventory, the owners were Stuart and Kirstie Stein.

In recent years (before 2010), the current owners enlarged the living area on the first floor and added a deck above it accessed from the second.

 

garden
Robert Brandeis black & white photo
Robert Brandeis photo
2012 photo of entry map
2012 photo Location map

This house was built in 1909 and is a Category 3 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder are unknown. The property measures 100 by 112.5 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 12/31/09, 2/11/49, 8/6/57; Who's Who in America (Cox)

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.