PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1111 Emerson Street

Professorville Historic District

Inventory photo 1111
Inventory photo Photo taken January 2012

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This gambrel-roofed shingled house is part Colonial Revival and part Craftsman in its image. The entry porch is a later and not particularly compatible addition.

Significance:  A fine, small-scale fusion of two styles important in Palo Alto's image.

Professor William A. Cooper, the first owner, taught at Stanford from 1901 to 1934, and for twenty years was chairman of the German Department. He had studied in Europe, where he earned the Ph.D. degree from Cologne University. As a Goethe scholar, he was honored internationally and was elected to the presidency of both the Modern Languages Association and the Philological Society.

In 1910 the house was sold to Dr. Marion Burke and her mother, Mrs. John E. Burke. Dr. Burke was a Vassar graduate with a medical degree from Johns Hopkins. Ill health kept her from practice, however. She was a cousin of her next-door neighbor, Mrs. J.C.L. Fish. Dr. Burke remained in the house until 1943.

The next owners were P.A. and Mrs. Pauline Marshall (1948–1969), followed immediately by the present owners, Samuel and Shirley Stewart. Note:  The house was next sold in 2017.

 

robert Brandeis photo PAHA archive
Robert Brandeis photo with tree growing in lawn. 1998 photo showing fountain replacing tree from PAHA archive.
centennial plaque map

This house was built in 1903 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was Gustav Laumeister. The property measures 100 by 112.5 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 5/19/03, 9/19/39, 9/4/47; Assessors Books, Santa Clara Coount

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.