PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1027 Emerson Street

Professorville Historic District

1027 2016 photo
Inventory photo Photo taken January 2016

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1983:

Physical appearance:   This crisply detailed two-story house has a marginal commitment to the Queen Anne and Colonial Revival modes.

Significance:  A fine example of the simplified Queen Anne/Colonial Revival style.

During the early years it was occupied for brief periods by a series of families. Among them were Professor Colbert Searles, Romance Languages Department at Stanford (1910 – 1912), Edith R. Mirrielees, distinguished professor of English and Creative Writing (1914 – 1916), and Louise Heatwole, one of Palo Alto High School's most admired teachers for a quarter–century (1916 – 1917). The few long–term residents included O. J. Mauel, carpenter (1935 – 1949) and Anatol and Klaudia Krivosheev (1959 – 1977). W. C. Francis was the next owner.

It was presented with a PAST Preservation Award in 2000 and was on the 2006 Holiday House Tour.

 

corner 2006 photo
fenced yard front
address map
2016 photo Map

This house was built in 1904 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The builder was D. C. Dibble. The property measures 50 by 105 feet.

Sources: P. A. City Directories; P. A. Times 3/25/1904, 12/20/1904, 6/5/1926, 10/31/1957, 6/3/1962, 6/17/1974.

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.