PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

330 Embarcadero Road

Inventory photo map
Inventory photo Location map

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:  A boldly scaled Mission Revival parapet gives interest and importance to this small one–story stucco Craftsman bungalow.

Significance:  Architecturally, this small house is a fine example of the achievement of a Mission Revival image with minimum means and at an early date in Palo Alto. Charles D. Whitaker and his wife were the first owners; he was a conductor on the local street cars. The house changed hands with relative frequency until 1965, when Doris c. Johnson occupied it. Among earlier owners were William r. Gunther (1929–1933), the popular manager of the Old Union at Stanford, and George S. Moore, a highly–respected Palo Alto High School teacher (1946–1952).

Doris C. Johnson owned the house in 1978.

This house was built in 1912 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder are unknown. The property measures 58 by 161 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 6/5/72

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.