PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1450 Edgewood Drive

Inventory photo map
Inventory photo Location map

 

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This square two–story structure is hip–roofed and sheathed in shingles. It has experienced several alterations and additions.

Significance:   This building was originally the carriage house for 1456 Edgewood and may date back to the era of the original owner, Dr. William A. Newell. The property he purchased in 1864 and developed after 1866 included farm buildings.

The house and probably other buildings were rebuilt and altered by Dr. A. A. McIntyre (1906–09), Marshall Black (1909–13), and Edward Jesurun (1913–1939). Modernization for present residential use occurred in the early 1940s. After brief occupancy by Floyd Cowan, the present owners [1979], Hugh A. and Henrietta W. Phares purchased the property.

This house was built between 1918 and 1924 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The architect and builder are not known. The property measures 56.5 by 112.5 feet.

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; interview 1985, Mary Phares; notes in Newell Obituary file, Palo Alto Historical Association; see also 1456 Edgewood Drive

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.