PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage

Home Architects & Builders  Holiday House Tour Newsletters Walking Tours
About PAST Centennial Houses INVENTORY Preservation Awards Contact PAST
Advocacy History and Architecture Articles   Master Index to Houses Resources  

Palo Alto Historic Buildings Inventory

1414 Edgewood Drive
Originally 114 Edgewood Drive

Inventory photo 1414 Edgewood
Inventory photo July 2016 photo

The following is from the Historic Buildings Inventory as revised in 1985:

Physical appearance:   This substantial Tudor Revival house is saved from the mundane by the boldly sculptured chimney piece which has three flues in one massive chimney on the front of the structure.

Significance:   This is a fine example of period Revival design, built by one of the city's principal contractors of the era, who was designer as well as builder for this and comparable houses. From the beginning, the house has been owned by the Blistering family. It was built for Frederick and Lorraine Stebinger, He was engaged in finance and manufacturing; she was a private piano teacher for over 60 years. After Mr. Stebinger's death, she married August W. Bleyle, head of Independent Elevator Co., San Francisco. The owner at the date of the Inventory was her son Thomas B. Stebinger.

driveway gate
1414 Edgewood July 2016 photo
2012 photo

2012 photo
location map

 

This house was built in 1934 and is a Category 4 on the Historic Buildings Inventory. The property measures 80 by 198 feet. (The Inventory sheet states that the owner/builder was C. W. Kemper.)

Sources: Palo Alto City Directories; Palo Alto Times 2/24/34, 5/4/38, 9/15/77; interview 1985, Thomas B. Stebinger.

Top

Top


FaceBook f

E-mail us at either webmaster@pastheritage.org or president@pastheritage.org.

PAST Logo Palo Alto Stanford Heritage—Dedicated to the preservation of Palo Alto's historic buildings.